What basically is the Quran? It is everything that resembles a constitution having rules and regulations for leading a peaceful, meaningful life. It contains those secrets about the universe which when understood in a real manner will take man to the heights of success.
اگر تقلید بودی شیوۂ خوب
پیمبر ھم رہ اجداد رفتی
Had imitation been morally good,
The Prophet (PBUH) would have followed the practice of his ancestors again — Iqbal
The Makeup of Quran
Let us analyze. There are a total of 114 Surahs in the Quran. The Surah can be classified as either Makkiah or Madaniah; those revealed before and after migration respectively. 82 are Makkiah while 20 are Madaniah. This makes a sum of 102. In the remaining 12, there is Ikhtilaaf amongst the scholars. So 71.93% of the Quran was revealed before migration and dealt with issues of Aqeedah, motivating people to do good work, warning them about punishment in the hereafter, telling about our creation, stories about prophets, and information regarding the unseen. While only 17.54% of the Quran in terms of Surahs was revealed after migration and dealt with legislating rules, debating, and hypocrisy.
tafseer ibn kaseer
If we were to further narrow it down we will find that there are only 500 ayahs for Ahkaam and stories of past nations and prophets cover half of the Quran. So in the 6000+ ayah, there are:
500 ayahs- Commandments/ which makes 8-9% approx
3000+ ayahs – Stories which is around 45-50% approx
The remaining cover many examples, rational statements, empirical statements and other subjects.
We see people being harmed in the name of religion and we see how many people have absolutely no knowledge of what Islam really is. We will be held accountable on the Last day for our negligence. Anyhow there are multiple ways to learn and decipher the code of “nukhsa e qeemia”. Every reasonable person is invited to follow a newer divine syllabus. The Holy Quran. The modern book of Islam. We Muslims agree that the best book is the Holy Quran, but the question is which Tafseer e Quran is authentic?
Which one is the best Tafseer of Quran in Urdu?
One can not say for sure, which Islamic scholar’s Tafseer e Quran is most authentic? There is no clean chit for any of them based on the disputed historic events quoted in each one of them. قرآن جتنی اچھی تفسیر خود اپنی کرتا ھے، کوئی دوسرا نہیں کر سکتا۔
Anyways, I am listing a few of Tafsir Quran with possible links to access Tafseer Quran in Urdu (in no specific order):
- Dr. Israr Ahmed Tafseer e Quran. ڈاکٹر اسرار صاحب کی بہترین تفسیر ہے. You can get it from Anjuman Khaddam al Quran in Lahore. Dr. Israr Ahmad was the founder of Tanzeem-e-Islami, an offshoot of the Jamaat-e-Islami which was founded by Syed Abul Ala Maududi.
- Tafheem ul Quran by Maudoodi RA, language is easy and is quite simple. تفہیم القرآن” (مولانا ابو الاعلیٰ مودودی) مختصر، سادہ اور صحیح احادیث اور مستند روایات کی کثرت کے ساتھ. تفہیم القرآن شاہکار تفسیر ہے عام فرد کے لۓ اس سے بہتر تفسیر نہی لکھی گٸی علامہ مودودی رح ہر دور کے بہترین عالمِ دین ہیں
- Tafseer ibn Kaseer by Allama Hafiz ibn Qasir is best from the non-partisan aspect. Tafseer ibn Kasir or Tafseer ibn Kathir is available at Darul Salam Publishers (which largely reflect upon Salafi manhaj). However, there are no Torah and Injeel references. It has also been ceded with erratum by Sheikh Zubair Ali Zai on its weak references. Tafsir ibn Kathir pdf can be accessed and downloaded as well.
- Tarjuma e Kanzul Eman and Khazain ul Irfan by Imam Ahmad Raza Khan. Easily available in the market and you can download pdf as well. Tarjuma Kanzul Emaan by Maulana Ahmed Raza Khan RA depicts the Barelvi school of thought.
- Maariful Quran new edition by Molana Mufti Shafi Usmani RA (معارف القرآن، مفتی شفیع عثمانی صاحب رحمہ اللہ) Although, it is a bit hard to understand but very popular among Sunni Deobandi Islamic sect.
- Tafseer Ahsan ul Bayan (Urdu) “تفسیر احسن البیان”حافظ صلاح الدین یوسف Ahsanul Bayan is available at Darul Salam Publishers and comes free from Harmain ul Sharifain.
- Maulana Muhammad Jaunagarhi and Abd al-Aziz ibn Baz
With progress and modern-day challenges emerging, newer versions came in from one school of thought. For example, Tafsir al-Tabari by Muhammad Ibn Jarir Al-Tabari was popular among Shafi’i madhhab. His school of thought Al Jariri became extinct later on.
There are also some aspiring interpreters who make their name in modern days:
Personally, Maulana Shabir Ahmad Usmani RA’s interpretation is by far the easiest to understand interpretation considered by the Deoband school of thought. He also remained a teacher of Mufti Shafi Usmani RA.
Mufti Taqi Usmani‘s version comes in an easy contemplation from the Deobandi school of thought. آسان ترجمہ قرآن مفتی محمد تقی عثمانی تشریحات کے ساتھ بھت کمال کا ھے ایک مرتبہ پڑھ کر دیکھے
Allama Ghulam Rasool Saeedi’s Tibyan ul Quran and Tibyan ul Furqan.
“تذکیر القرآن” مولانا وحید الدین خان
Dr. Ghamdi’s teacher Tadabur Al Quran by Ameen Ahsan Islahi RA.
Tafseer-e-Quran by famous Islamic Scholars (Ahle-Hadith) by Ustaad Nauman Ali Khan, Muhammad Salah, Tawfique Choudhry, Yasir Qadhi, Mufti Ismail Menk
غیر مسلموں کو پیش کرنے کے لئے تفہیم القرآن سے ہزار درجہ بہتر تفسیر، تفسیرِ ماجدی ہے جس میں توریت اور انجیل کے حوالے بھرے ہوئے ہیں۔
Dr. Muhammad Najeeb Qasmi Sambhali
“تفسیر القرآن الکریم،،” عبدالسلام بھٹوی گذشتہ تمام طرح کی تفاسیر کا نچوڑ ہے ۔ضرور پڑھیے
Which one is the best Tafseer of Quran in English?
I’m amongst those Muslims whose affiliation with Islam has been by chance than by choice. I’ve spent decades (upon decades) parroting the exact same short verses; least conscious of the prospect of communicating the Holy Book offered liberally. And in my ignorance discovering this enough to maintain with responded to the call: “Read in the name of your Lord”. Today various modes are available to learn Quran in English and Arabic. Quran Explorer, Al Quran online, and Quran 360 are some of these.
From where to get authentic Tafseer e Quran?
Respected brothers and sisters, I have arranged some authentic Islamic Collections in pdf format (online Quran) for all of you to read and access to Islamic Collections easily. I’ll upload more books whenever I got time. Feel free to suggest any good book I’ll add it. All the books are in the English language if you want in any other language please do let me know.
- Tafhim-ul-Quran by Abul A’la Maududi
- Tafseer Ibn e Khatir
- The Noble Quran or Tafseer Ahsan Al Quran (English + Arabic + Urdu) by Muhammad Muhsin Khan and Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din al-Hilali
- Tafseer Al Jalalain
If you love hardbacks then please revert to these:
- The Message of Quran by Muhammad Asad Abdel Haleem’s translation
- Commentary by A. Yusuf Ali
Quranic Interpretation in Audio and Visual
Tafsir al Quran is also available in Cassettes and Audio archives. Youtube and Vimeo are a testament to each of these resources.
In 1988, in eight hours Dr. Israr Ahmed had recorded بیان القرآن (ڈاکٹر اسرار احمد رح) میں ویڈیو کے علاوہ کتابی شکل میں بھی موجود ہے.
Dr. Farhat Hasmi of Alhuda International from the Salafi school of thought has also recorded her version of the Tafseer.
Engr. Muhammad Ali Mirza (Controversial Personality) has also laid down his Youtube Series for that matter.
Tune into Live sessions by Mr. Khalid Zaheer.
Saut ul Quran Channel also offers audio recording.
As for those who divide their religion and break up into (sects), you have no part in them in the least: their affair is with Allah: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did. — Quran, 6:159
Sick of Amir Liaquat’s lousy tantrums? Tortured by the pointless Ramazan transmissions broadcasting futile quiz competitions and incredibly intense Royal Rumbles for petty gift hampers? So was I but not anymore! Thus in conclusion rules and regulations which people find difficult to implement or implement with consistency are the tip of the iceberg. The real solution to many of Ummah’s problems is motivating people to do good, warning them of the punishment of the hereafter, and correcting their beliefs. Starting away in sha ALLAH very soon! May Allah give all of us the Taufeeq to spread the true knowledge of Islam to everyone.